You are visiting the public pages on our employee web. Please log in to access content that is only for employees.

Two pairs of hands over a book

This page is under construction.

During your project

Learn more about managing your project, research ethics, publishing and research impact.

Reporting to the funder

Funders have different reporting systems and each project has specific reporting requirements and templates. Check your project’s award agreement and/or the funder’s website for technical/scientific reporting requirements.

When the research project has been awarded and the contract has been signed, the researcher has to send the agreement/contract to the Registrar’s Office and a copy to the Finance Department (the registrar needs to create a registration number for the project if the project did not receive a registration number upon application). Regarding Prisma projects, all information is sent directly to the Finance Department by Prisma.

The researcher has to contact the Finance Department if the amount granted deviates from the amount stated in the application. The Finance Department will assist in negotiating any budget revisions with the funder. If you need to extend the deadline for final reports or other deliverables or extend the project’s end date, the researcher is required to submit a formal amendment to the award agreement to the Finance Department.


The Finance Department creates an activity/project number for the research project. The PI of the project is responsible to inform the head of department about all staff appointments on the research project and their salary costs under various scenarios depending on start and end dates, salary band/step, and % full-time equivalent. It is also important that the project participants are paid for (konteras mot) by the research project in Primula.

Budget tracking

It is important that the budget is overseen in order to identify any deviations from the budget. The researcher has to contact the Finance Department to set up a schedule for follow-ups in relation to the funder’s specific reporting requirements.

A budget tacking shows the current financial status of the project including the budget, expenses incurred to-date, known commitments (especially salary costs), and remaining balance.

Budget deviations can arise regarding all costs: salary costs, LKP (salary cost surcharge), administration, premises and OH (overhead or indirect costs). Deviations are handled within the framework of the project budget. Some funders allow virements between budget categories. Restrictions on virements vary depending on the funder, the award type, and any special conditions. The award agreement may state no virements to/from specific budget categories. Some virements are not allowed without the funder’s prior approval.


Check your project’s award agreement for technical/scientific reporting requirements. The researcher has to contact the Finance Department well in advance of the project’s end date so that it is possible to make any changes to the accounts within the project period.

Checklist for researchers

  • Send the agreement/contract to the Registrar’s Office and a copy to the Finance Department. State the registration number of the application.
  • Check that all salary costs is paid for (konteras mot) by the research project in Primula.
  • Check that all requisitions made within the project is done according to budget.
  • Check that all expenditures are booked in the project.
  • Check that all costs are relevant to the project.
  • Check that all payments have been booked in the project (match against the agreement/contract).
  • Check the level of co-financing (match against the agreement/contract).
  • Regular reports to the funder (often annually for ongoing projects or in connection with requisitions).
  • Possible extension of the deadline for final reports or other deliverables or extension of the project’s end date (please note that the funder will need to confirm changes in writing).
  • Final financial reporting to the funder (please check the project’s reporting requirements, including templates, submission process, or deadlines).
  • End of project balances – if there is a surplus, check if the funder requests return of unspent funds.


To get a spreadsheets templates contact

Remember that a spreadsheets always must be completed for all research applications and signed by an economist and head of department.

Contact information at the Finance Department for questions regarding new grant applications. to get in touch with staff in the research project organization (national projects, EU projects and doctoral students).

Further contact information at the Finance Department (in Swedish).

Research ethics

All staff at Södertörn University are responsible for ensuring that good research practice is applied. If you have suspicions or questions about deviations from good research practice, you must contact the Council for Research Ethics.

Document management

Before applying for external research funding, you must contact the central records officer to obtain a registration number. In most cases, the same registration number is used after your project has been granted funding and stays with the project until it is completed.

The university’s registry and archives unit is responsible for operative work with the university archives and control of the university’s official documents.

Research documentation as official documents

Incoming and stored documents, and ones drawn up at Södertörn University, are official documents. An official document is either public or is fully/partially subject to secrecy.

Documents must be registered as quickly as possible after they arrive at the university, are forwarded, or have been drawn up. All documents included in a case are stored together and allocated the same registration number.

Registration of research documentation

The university’s information management plan states which documents must be registered (under classification structure KS3 Bedriva forskning). Documents that must be registered include:

  • Applications
  • Agreements
  • Data management plan
  • Interim and final reports
  • Financial statements
  • Ethical review
  • Impact analysis for personal data processing, if documented
  • Contracts
  • Correspondence with financiers
  • Travel and conference funding
  • Permits or similar for access to research data (confidentiality restrictions/agreements or similar).

How to register documents

When you apply for external research funding, you must contact the central records officer at to obtain a registration number. In most cases, the same registration number is used once your project has been granted funding, and then stays with the project until it is completed. This compiles the research project and makes searches and archiving easier.

Researchers are responsible for submitting documents to be registered to the Central Records Office. This is done on an ongoing basis, as documents are created or received. Submit the documents to be registered, marked with the research project’s registration number, to the registry.

Original hard copy documents, such as agreements or decisions, must be submitted to the central records officer as hard copies. Electronic documents, such as scanned copies of agreements or decisions, can be emailed to the central records officer.

Remember to inform the central records officer when the research project has ended, so the case can be closed in the registry.

Additional information and contacts

More information about document management at Södertörn University (in Swedish only).


More information about official documents and the principle of public access to official documents. (in Swedish only).


For additional information about registering, archiving and weeding out documents, please refer to the university’s information management plan.

Publish your research

Södertörn University Library offers information and advice on publishing issues. The library is also responsible for the repository DiVA, and offers guidance on Open Access and bibliometrics.

Research data can be published in a database that is searchable on the web (an open repository), making them available to other researchers. Such publication may be a requirement when an article is published as open access, or it can be justified by general principles and guidelines for open science. Södertörn University’s data management support can assist researchers with questions that arise in connection with the publication of research data. The data management support also has a responsibility to review data submissions when researchers at Södertörn University publish their data in the Swedish national research data catalogue, operated by the Swedish National Data Service. External link, opens in new window.

Many types of research data can be shared freely without restrictions. For data that contains personal information or other information that cannot be freely shared, only metadata, that is, information about this data but not the data itself, can be made available. The data files can then be released upon request if certain conditions are met by the party making the request. Other data might be too sensitive to be published at all. SND's research data catalogue accepts all types of research data and should be the first choice for data publication unless there are specific reasons to choose another repository.

Researchers are welcome to contact the data management support with questions about the publication of research data. You can also read more about publication here. External link, opens in new window.

Contact data management support:

The National Procurement Services External link, opens in new window. (Statens inköpscentral) provide agreements for language editing services. Please note that the current agreements ended on April 2, 2021 and that new agreements are planned to become available in June 2021. Please contact for more information on how to use the National Procurement Services’ framework agreements.

Proofreading or editing can be done by another employee at Södertörn University (within his or her position) or by using the agreements procured by the National Procurement Services.

Funding from the Publications Committee

The Publications Committee at Södertörn University grants funding to support researchers who want to publish their results.

If you have applied for funding from the Publications Committee, you need to inform this when you contact the procurement at the Finance Department ( This is because it is not certain that the assignment will be completed, and you need to receive prices in advance. The contractors must be informed that the assignment might not be completed unless you are granted funding.

Learn more about the Publications Committee, its mandate and when it hold its meetings.

The library has compiled information on, among other things, publishing, bibliometrics, how to register your research in DiVA, citing and referencing, and copyright advice.

Open Access

Making your publications freely available through Open Access means increased visibility and exposure of your research while complying with funders’ policies. What to think about before publishing Open Access External link, opens in new window..

As a researcher at Södertörn University, you can benefit from many publishing agreements that include the fee for publishing Open Access. Learn more about the University’s agreements where the APC (Article Processing Charge) is either completely included or is reduced.

Södertörn University has a policy for electronic publishing (in Swedish). 

Strategic publishing and bibliometric analyses

Södertörn University Library compiles publication statistics, makes bibliometric analyses (quantitative analyses of written documents) and can assist researchers in improving access to and discoverability of their research. Information on how to best increase and measure your research visibility External link, opens in new window..

The library makes bibliometric analyses for the university’s management and for individual schools and departments. They may, for example, be used in annual reports and for reports to the Foundation for Baltic and East European Studies. Bibliometrics can also be used to analyse how a school’s article publication has developed over time. The library can also assist researchers with bibliometric indicators that might be needed for external research applications (e.g. H index). DiVA, Web of Science and Scopus are used as data sources.


Register your research in DiVA External link, opens in new window..

Search in DiVA External link, opens in new window..

Reference management software

Reference management software can help you cite and reference consistently. Use software to collect, store and organise your references. You can also share the references with others. Use the software and build your reference list as you write.

Learn more about the software EndNote and Zotero External link, opens in new window..

Your own copyright

The Swedish Act on Copyright in Literary and Artistic Works protects creative works from being misused. If you have authored a text, e.g. an article, it is protected by copyright, just like other literary works. You can choose to use a license that explains what other people are allowed to do with your text External link, opens in new window..

Contact Södertörn University Library

The library offers advice to doctoral students and researchers about publishing issues, please contact:

The Publication Series External link, opens in new window. are the university’s own publishing channels for researchers from Södertörn and other universities. The Publication Series include the series that the Publications Committee is responsible for, that certain subjects and centres at Södertörn University are responsible for, and Södertörn Doctoral Dissertations. All series are published with open access and a large majority of the publications can be purchased through online bookshops.

The Publications Committee acts as an editorial board and is responsible for four publication series: Södertörn Academic Studies, Research Reports, Working Paper and Läromedel från Södertörns högskola. The Publications Department at the library is directly responsible for the production of these four series, but also provides assistance with the production of all series.

Publish a manuscript

If you are interested in publishing a manuscript in one of the Publication Series or via Kriterium, you can find more information about it and our contact details below.

Publish in the Publications Committee’s series

The library’s Publications Department takes care of, among other things, copy-editing, layout and cover design, publishing, and distribution. You can make a request to publish in one of the Publications Committee’s series, please contact the committee’s secretary. Read more about the series and the review procedures below:


Contact the Publications Committee secretary:

Publish in the university’s other Publications Series

  • You can find a list of the series published by certain subjects and centres on the Publication Series website External link, opens in new window.. The latest publications can also be found there.
  • Contact the subject or centre responsible for the series in which you want to publish.
  • The library’s Publication Department takes care of, among other things, copy-editing, layout and cover design, publishing, and distribution.


Contact the subject or centre responsible for the series, see every series at the University’s Publications Series External link, opens in new window.. If contact information is missing, contact the Publications Department:


Kriterium External link, opens in new window. is a Swedish portal for review, publication, and dissemination of high-quality academic books. All books with the Kriterium label will be freely available through open access. Kriterium is a collaboration between universities and publishers, and is also supported by the Swedish Research Council, the Riksbankens Jubileumsfond and the National Library of Sweden.

Publish with Kriterium

Through a publisher, which can be either a publication series or a publishing house, an author or editor of an academic book can advertise their interest in having a manuscript reviewed and published in Kriterium External link, opens in new window.. Send your application to the Publications Committee secretary:

The Publications Committee accepts applications in three areas:

Publishing a manuscript in one of the series that the Publications Committee is responsible for

Submitted at least one month before the next committee meeting.

  • Submit a copy of a completed manuscript.
  • Submit a synopsis.

Proofreading and/or language editing of an article

Submitted at least ten days before the next committee meeting.

  • Submit a copy of the article.
  • Submit an estimated cost (the Publications Committee always refers to the framework agreements for proofreading and language editing provided by the National Procurement Services External link, opens in new window..)
  • Submit a letter of intent from the responsible publisher, e.g. the editor of the journal which has accepted the article.
  • Explore the possibility of publishing the article Open Access either immediately or after an embargo period (e.g. six months).

Publishing with an external publisher (publishing/printing grant)

Submitted at least one month before the next committee meeting.

  • Submit a copy of a completed manuscript.
  • Submit a synopsis.
  • Submit a letter of intent from the responsible publisher, e.g. the publisher who has accepted the manuscript.
  • Explore the possibility of publishing the book Open Access either immediately or after an embargo period (e.g. six months).
  • Submit a budget from the publisher.

NB Other applications should be discussed with the committee’s secretary in advance and submitted at least seven days before the next committee meeting. The Publication Committee’s upcoming meetings.

Contact: Jonathan Robson, Secretary of the Publications Committee,

Below is a list of external financiers that researchers can apply to for contributions to printing costs when, for example, such an application does not fall under the remit of the Publications Committee. Opportunities for financing within Sweden are greater for manuscripts written in Swedish.

Anders Karitz Stiftelse (website in Swedish only)

Enligt stadgarna kan hänsyn tas endast till ansökningar från svenska medborgare. När ansökan avser tryckkostnadsbidrag skall om möjligt två offerter på tryckning bifogas. Ansökan sammanfattad på sär­skild blankett med angivande av examina, utgivna skrifter, forskningsuppgifter m.m. samt så noggrann tidsplan som möjligt skickas per e-post eller brev till:
Anders Karitz Stiftelse
Jan Alsins
Hällbygatan 36 A
752 28 Uppsala

Ovan nämnda blankett kan erhållas från Jan Alsins som vid förfrågan lämnar ytterligare upplysningar. Vid elektronisk ansökan skall filerna vara i pdf-format med filnamn enligt följande syntax: Efternamn_Ansokan.pdf, Efternamn_CV.pdf, Efternamn_Bil_nr.pdf

Crafoord Foundation External link.

The Crafoord Foundation invites applications annually, from mid-December until the beginning of February, for grants for scientific research.

Fritz Thyssen Foundation Printing Subsidies External link.

Printing subsidies offer support for the publication of scholarly findings emanating from projects that have already been supported by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation (i.e. through projects, conferences, stipends, travel subsidies, etc.).

Längmanska kulturfonden External link. (website in Swedish only)

Främjar humanistiska vetenskaper, teologi och juridik samt naturvetenskaper – inbegripen medicin (senast 15 januari).

The Petra and Karl Erik Hedborg Foundation External link.

Bidrag bland annat till högre akademiska studier, forskarutbyte, tryckning och översättning av vetenskapliga verk samt till anordnande av konstutställningar, konserter och föredrag, som utvecklar relationerna mellan Sverige och Belgien (senast 15 mars/15 oktober).

Gerda Boëthius Memorial Foundation External link.

Stiftelsen Gerda Boëthius minnesfond utdelar varje år ett eller flera stipendier för vetenskapliga undersökningar inom de områden som låg Gerda Boëthius varmast om hjärtat: konsthistoria (konstvetenskap), etnologi och hemslöjd. Medel kan sökas för exempelvis resor, tryckningsbidrag eller kostnader för insamling av material.

Olle Engkvists Stiftelse External link.

Olle Engkvist Stiftelse beviljar anslag till vetenskaplig forskning inom medicin, teknik, ekologi och kultur/humanistiska ämnen. Anslag kan sökas till forskningsprojekt som uppgår till två år eller kortare period, maskinell utrustning, tryck- och resebidrag samt för övriga projekt (t.ex. bokprojekt, översättningar o. dyl.)

Åke Wibergs Stiftelse External link. (website in Swedish only)

Anslag till forskning inom humaniora och samhällsvetenskap genom mindre forskningsanslag och tryckningsbidrag samt ett årligt postdoktoralt stipendium (senast 15 september)

Create an account and search in for financiers offering contributions towards printing.

If you find any other financiers that offer contributions towards printing, and you think they should be added to the list, let us know

Updated May 2023

Reaching out with your research

There are many ways that you as a researcher or communications officer can share research evidence, experiences and skills through the media, events or public engagement activities.

The Communications Department offers advice to researchers who need to communicate with students, staff and external audiences. Resources to produce engaging and professional communications could e.g. be used to draw attention to PhD dissertations or research collaborations, promote research at public events or create theme pages on the university’s website to enable the media and the general public to learn more about ongoing research.

Compiled information about the Communications Department’s support.

The Communications Department’s support on research communication (in Swedish).

Examples of ways to reach out

Your staff card and research profile

You staff card contains brief information about you as an employee at Södertörn University.

How to edit your staff card.

As a researcher, you can get an extended staff card – a research profile, where you can describe your research. There is also a link to your publications in DIVA.

Learn more how to create and edit you research profile.

Websites for research projects

In some cases it is necessary to create a website about a research project, e.g. if you have more information to share than can comfortably fit on your research profile page or because a website is required by the funder.

Learn more about how to build a website for your research project (in Swedish).


The Communications Department works continuously to reach out to the media and to advise on strategies for helping your announcements and research findings reach wider audiences.

Read more about how you can present research that engages and informs, write a press release or if you want to receive training and advice on interviews and media handling (in Swedish).

Every quarter, the Communication Department summarizes the university’s coverage in the media. The reports demonstrate the effect and impact of your outreach activities (in Swedish).

Participate in public events

Almedalsveckan and the Gothenburg Book Fair are examples of public events where researchers from Södertörn University usually participate.

Learn more about how you can participate (in Swedish).

Contact the Communications Department

Please email:

Arranging a meeting or attending a conference involves a lot of work – before, during and after the event.

“Travel-free” meetings

Virtual meetings (i.e. conference calls, video meetings or video conferences) are friendly to the environment and save money and time.

Available software for virtual meetings/video meetings at Södertörn University (information in Swedish):

To participate in a conference call with video, the simplest webcam and headset are enough. You can use the camera that is on your laptop, but for good sound quality both for you and the other meeting participants, it is best if you use a headset.

Learn more about the university’s premises and rooms with digital meeting technology and how you can book AV support (in Swedish).


Read more about the university’s sustainability and environmental work.


Business travels

Södertörn University has a policy and guidelines for business travels. They regulate booking, compensation etc.

Learn more about how to book travel and accommodation, write a travel invoice or get a supplementary travel insurance (in Swedish).

Conferences and workshops

You can apply for a travel and conference grant from your School or from CBEES. CBEES grants funding for organising conferences and workshops associated with the university’s Baltic Sea region and Eastern Europe profile.

Read more about how to apply for a grant.

Organising a conference or workshop on campus is an exciting and challenging project with many different aspects to take into account.

General information on how to create a successful event (in Swedish).



Questions about page content? Use the contact in the relevant expander.

Want the page updated? - Fill in this form

For other questions, please email

2024-04-16 by Frans Utterström